Advanced Telescope Supplies
Losmandy precision equatorial mounts
Why buy from ATS?
We are THE Losmandy distributors in Australia. Found a better price? Please call and we will try and better it!
- Free after sales telephone and e-mail support.
- Local 12 month warranty (no need to return mounts to the USA)
- Servicing and spares based in Sydney, Australia (typically with a 48 hour turn around)
- 3 years free Gemini GoTo software/EPROM updates (based on EPROM exchange) to original purchaser's. (our service department includes a UV EPROM eraser and re-programmer)
Losmandy make a range of Secondary mounting systems which can be used to easily mount most optical systems to their mounts in just a few seconds
Losmandy Precision Equatorial Mounts. (Also see G-11 and HGM titan)
Made in the U.S.A by Hollywood General Machining, the German equatorial mountings designed by Scott Losmandy are recognised the world over as one of the most precise, rigid and yet affordable telescope mountings commercially available. Losmandy produce the portable G-8, heavy duty G-11 and observatory class HGM Titan.
The Losmandy G-8 Price *$2050 inc tripod, dual axis drive and 7lb counterweight (*subject to $A to $US currency exchange rate)
No other similarly priced telescope mounting comes close to matching the rigidity, payload and tracking accuracy of the Losmandy G-8. (see specification summary)
The Losmandy range is designed for exacting astro-photographic, CCD imaging and visual users in both the field or at a permanent installation.
The G-8 design is very rigid yet light weight and incorporates features simply not found in competing equatorial mounts. All structural parts are fully machined from aircraft grade aluminum or stainless steel. Aluminum parts are anodized: a process, which significantly hardens the metal surface and protects it against corrosion. Utilizing the latest Computer Numeric Control (CNC) technology tolerances to within a few thousands of an inch are rigidly maintained across the entire assembly: guaranteeing smooth, precise and dependable performance for many years to come.
Being all-machined, the G-8 is extremely rigid. Add large diameter shafts plus design features such as; polar altitude lock, precision gears and bearings to create a mount easily capable of supporting payloads of up to 15kg, yet still retain excellent field portability.
The drive assembly uses dependable, high-torque stepper motors, each driving a super hard, tempered stainless steel worm gear. Unlike the turned gears used in less capable mounts, each worm gear is precision ground to tolerances of a few ten thousands of an inch. The result is consistent tracking accuracy of less than 20 arc seconds without the aid of periodic error correction electronics (also built into every G-8 mount).
Unique to every Losmandy mount is their precision dovetail and saddle system. A single doveplate can be attached to almost any telescope, which can then be attached to the mount saddle in seconds. Perfect balance of the system can then be easily achieved by simply sliding the telescope along the saddle.
Completing the mechanical system is Losmandy’s G-8 field tripod: a semi-pier head, coupled to thick walled, large section aluminium legs, plus a spreader bar giving the field system excellent rigidity and dampening characteristics. Vibrations literally damp out within fractions of a second.
Electronically, the G-8 has features tailored for the advanced astro-imager. Three guiding rates, plus four slewing rates. Quartz locked tracking at Sidereal, Solar, Lunar and King rates is also provided. The periodic error correction circuit is unique as it does not alter the set tracking rate, nor slowly drift out of phase. Tracking with the PEC engaged is virtually error free. Any residual mechanical backlash in the declination drive can also be easily removed by the built in TVC feature, giving the user precise and instant drive correction response. An autoguider jack allows trouble free interfacing with currently available autoguiders. A compact hand paddle allows drive corrections to be applied in the correct sense, no matter what the optical configuration or telescope orientation through reversible R.A and Declination switches.
Alternatively, the G-8 can be fitted with the Gemini computerised GOTO system. This can be fitted to a new mount, or retrofitted at a later time.
The Losmandy G-8 offers high precision, high payload, excellent stability, innovative compact design and jewel like finish which combine to make it the ideal foundation for a superb astro-imaging system.
G-8 Specification Summary
R.A. / DEC. AXIS
- All machined aluminum and stainless steel, black anodized.
- All stainless steel hardware.
- One 2.100" diameter needle thrust bearing.
- One 2.000" diameter needle thrust bearing.
- Two 1.500" diameter needle bearings.
- 2.812" diameter, 7075 aluminum worm gear, 180 tooth.
- Dual supported, ball bearing housed stainless steel worm-heat treated and ground.
- Variable slip clutch, both axes. One knob design.
- 1.250" diameter aluminum shafts.
- Fully locking, unique tangent arm design altitude adjustment, 0-64 degrees, large knob for easy alignment.
- Laser engraved latitude scale in 2 degree increments.
- Single knob azimuth control, bi-directional +/- 8.5 degrees.
- 3.500" diameter laser engraved setting circles 6 minute R.A. / 2 degrees DEC. R.A. circle engraved for Northern and Southern Hemisphere.
- Porter slip ring design.
- 160 oz/in stepper motor, 1.0 arc sec. step.
- Dovetail saddle-plate allows for the interchanging of any tube assembly-reduces need for DEC. weights.
- Removable stainless steel weight shaft w/safety knob.
- 7 lb counterweight. (11 lb and 21 lb. extra counterweights available)
- Through the axis polar scope, works in Northern and Southern hemisphere. Polar scope optional.
- Instrument weight capacity 30 lbs for SCT/Maksutov 20 lbs refractors/newtonians
Equatorial head weight 21 lbs.
- All machined aluminum, black anodized.
- Tripod height, adjustable from 27" - 43"
- Fold-up tripod design for easy transporting.
Tripod weight 15 lbs.
- Diamond push button pattern.
- R.A. and DEC. reversing switches.
- Three guiding rates; 30%, 50% and 2x sidereal rate.
- Three setting rates; 4x, 8x, 16x sidereal rate and super fast 32x HST (high speed transfer).
- Quartz tracking rates: sidereal, solar, lunar, king.
- Periodic Error Correction (PEC).
- Programmable DEC. Backlash Compensation (TVC).
- Control panel dimmer.
- Directly Accepts SBIG ST4 & STV auto-guider systems (Model ST237,ST7/8/9/10 users should use SBIG relay box)
- Northern and Southern Hemisphere operation.
- 12 volt DC - 500ma power use.
- Tiltable control panel for easy access.
- Small hand control box for comfortable use.
All heights are to top of tripod. Add 9" @ 34 degrees to center of Dec.-R.A. junction. Add 6" from Dec.-R.A. junction to top of saddle.
back to homepage